Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mieka Pauley

Photo Courtesy Ronald David Buccola
If you love good music you know what a treat it is to find that special musician that really grabs you; that musician that literally takes your breath away. The type of musician that really pours their heart and soul into their music.  Mieka Pauley is exactly that.

The first time I heard Mieka Pauley was in May of 2009 in Boston. They were having a May Day fair with music, great food, and tons of cool people. As we meandered about soaking in the sights I heard Mieka off in the distance. It was just her and her guitar. I had no idea who she was but I had to get closer. Who was this musical angel?

As we got closer the crowd around her was transfixed. People couldn't help but just stop and listen. You just knew you were witnessing something very special. Luckily I had the good sense to record it. To this day I get goose bumps when I listen to her performance. In the clip below you'll find Mieka's performance of Marked Man.

Marked Man quickly became one of my favorite songs. Over the past couple years I've had the good fortune of seeing Mieka play it numerous time and I can say without a doubt that it never gets old. It's a passionate and moving song about vengeance. It's an angry song. And it's one of those songs that you really have to see live to fully appreciate.

Typically Mieka plays it by flipping her guitar upside-down and using it as a drum, so it really showcases what an amazing voice she has. She's also broken a few guitars playing this song but thankfully that hasn't stopped her.

We're really fortunate to have such an amazing talent here in New York City. But if you're not in the New York area don't fret! Mieka tours quite a bit and chances are she'll be headed to your area. So head over to her website for all the latest news and tour updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment